Saturday, July 30, 2016

"Weird Al at Comic-Con" poster


I'm back from another fun time at Comic-Con, and before the inevitable deluge of pictures, I thought I'd share this image from a poster I created just for the event. "Weird Al" Yankovic made a few appearances in and around Comic-Con, so I decided that it would be fun to mark the event with my own tribute in the form of a poster, itself a tribute to a 1905 "Little Nemo in Slumberland" strip by Winsor McCay.


I gave the posters away on Wednesday and Thursday of the show, and before Al's Thursday-night appearance at the Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre in San Diego, about ten miles away from the convention center.


I took the opportunity to, I suppose, skirt the edges of legality and toss in some of my other favorite fictional characters, such as the Thing, the Tick, Spider-Man 2099 and others from Futurama, the Venture Bros. and the like. This is me living on the edge.


Artwork on the print is by none other than Duane Redhead, who did a lovely job at squeezing a lot into a little bit of space. I'll talk more about this in a future post, but it went over pretty well and I was able to get a few copies to Al and his band during the convention. It was a lot of fun to put together.

No comments: