Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A (kind of) brief Teddy and the Yeti update


Hey folks, it's been a while since we've had a legitimate Teddy and the Yeti update around these parts, but now is as good a time as any, I'd say.

Back in 2009 when artist Duane Redhead and I were putting the book together for publication, I thought we could realistically do three issues at a time.  The considerations at hand were the fact that both Duane and I have "real" jobs in addition to having dreams of working in the comic book industry and the fact that publishing comics is darned expensive!  I wanted to tell a complete story as to not leave anyone hanging, and I think that was accomplish with the first run of the book.  We got trading cards and cool paper heroes out of the deal, too, which was great as well.

In the aftermath of the books coming out and last year's convention season, I think both Duane and I thought it'd be a good idea to continue the title for as long as we could, in the quantity that we could.  Right now, I think three issue bursts are what we can handle.  To that, we are planning on putting out three issues in 2011 using the same format as the first run: issues 4 and 5 will have a two part story and issue 6 will feature a few shorter tales.

Right now I'm not certain of the release date for issue #4 - it's still a little while away before that comes into focus.  I want to at least have issue #4 out by the Baltimore Comic-Con, which is in August, and then follow a bi-monthly printing schedule for the remaining issues.  After issue #6 comes out, we'll have another break in which Duane and I will decide if more issues are feasible.  I will say this - if it were up to me, Teddy and the Yeti would publish monthly for the rest of eternity, but reality sometimes gets in the way.  The only thing that I want to focus on is putting together issues of high quality that people can enjoy.

After issue #6 comes out, I am considering putting a trade paperback out of the first six issues with lots of extras.  TPBs have an extended shelf life and some people are more willing to check out a book in that format than the traditional monthly deal.  Plus they are cool, and that's reason alone, eh?

In any case, we are moving toward more T&Y this year, and that's a good thing.  I'll try to keep everyone up to date on release dates and progress as it's made.  In the meantime, here's two pieces of art: the first page of issue #4 from the desk of Duane Redhead, and (I think) the first look at the final art for that issue's cover, featuring beautiful art by Pat Olliffe and Karin Rindevall.

More to come.

No comments: